Monday, November 21, 2011

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Now, I know this is a Gossip Girl blog, but it looks like I'll be branching off into other subjects very early on.  Gossip Girl isn't my only obsession!  My most recent obsession is Percy Jackson.  I'm pretty sure most people have seen the movie, which is totally different from the book.  (But it stands alone as a good movie.  Just don't know how they'll make the sequel... But that's their problem, now isn't it?  I'll just bash as I please.)  The books came out when I was younger, but I only started reading them a year ago.  Go me!  Back to childhood we go!

Isn't he cute?  This is Logan Lerman, who plays Percy Jackson in the movies.  He's supposed to be twelve... but he's seventeen instead.  Yay?

Now, Percy Jackson was a book series with five books.  All pretty epic, and all to do with Greek mythology.  I've always been interested in Greek mythology, but I've never really tried to learn about it.  Of course, I could never resist the allure of reading, so now that I have something Greek mythology is connected to, I must go find out more. Which I have.  And it's very, very interesting.  I borrowed these two big books about Greek and Roman mythology from the local library.  Sadly... they have more greek than roman.  Which... brings me to my actual point.  If PJO is about Greek mythology, why the Hades am I reading about Roman mythology?  (See?  This is where my obsession with these books makes itself known.)  PJO has a sequel series that is currently being written.  The first two books are out, and the next is coming out Fall of 2012.  I'm usually wary about sequels to entire book series.  I always feel like they'll fail.  But this one hasn't yet...  The Lost Hero (The first book in the sequel) is really long!  Compared to the ones in the PJO series I mean.

I've been so engrossed in the books that I've started saying "oh my gods," instead of "oh my god."  Cuz you know, there are a lot of Olympian gods...  And then, occasionally, I'll insult Zeus or something, and look up worriedly, thinking there'll be a rumble of thunder, and I'll be left as a pile of ash.  I swear I'm not crazy!  It just feels somewhat like I'm in a world where Olympian gods are real.  Even though they're not...

The Heroes of Olympus (the sequel series title) is darker than PJO.  There's more suspense, which might I mention is killing me...  And Percy still hasn't shown up yet... and he's due to show up for the first time in the second book!  That is also killing me.  And suddenly, the Roman gods are involved, but I'm not sure how yet.  I'm halfway through the book, and they haven't explained the whole gods have Roman and Greek forms yet.  Whoopee.  I know a little something about the series from wikipedia, but not nearly enough to clear things up.  I guess it's a transition from the Greek gods to the Roman, but all it's done is screw with my head.  I want to flip to the end and find out what's happening, but I know I'll regret it.  I always do that.  I always want to slap myself silly for doing it each time.

Son of Neptune, the second book in the sequel series only came out two weeks ago, and this series is still really popular, so there are twenty holds on that one book at the library.  I'm gonna explode when I finish The Lost Hero.  I just got a kindle fire... so maybe I'll buy it.  Agh.  Mythology is so interesting.  And Rick Riordan (the author) has another series based on Egyptian mythology that I'm planning on reading.  Somewhat intrigued, but I've never been a big fan of Egyptian myths, so we'll see how that goes.  I keep thinking... if I were a demigod, who would be my godly parent?  I would say Athena or Poseidon.  I'd like it to be Athena.  But of course, there's the whole monsters chasing you thing too if you're a demigod.  So... you win some, you lose some.  Isn't my mind fun?

~XOXO, Seravia

No comments:

Post a Comment